Tuesday, October 18, 2011

In a country where we saw a man cut a sizable lawn with scissors, you've got to suspect that a construction site might not be using all the latest technology to build a house.  I'm learning first hand how to build a house the old fashion way.  We leveled the foundation with a hose, we cut wood with a handsaw and we recycle as many nails as possible, straightening them against the ground.  It's been a backbreaking and entertaining experience.  I'm learning some spanish and fine tuning some of my carpentry skills.  The Chileans that I'm working with are ingenious, problem solving in ways I couldn't imagine.  They are used to making things work without the right material or tools.

I'm not belittling the way in which things are done here.  In fact, I think the house that we are building will be strong, last a lifetime and withstand any earthquake.  They do things really well here.  I'm interested in seeing how the finer details of the house, the finish work, turns out.

Speaking of work, it turns out that Chile's normal work week is 45 hours, rather than our 40 hour work week.  They work 6 days a week for 7.5 hours or 9 hours a day for 5 days, rather than 5 days a week for 8 hours.  Maybe that's one reason their economy continues to grow while ours has stagnated and even lessened of late.

That's all for now.  I've got to get back to work!

5 comments:

  1. Wow sounds fun!!! well fun isn't always easy is it! You never told your math class the answer to that riddle with the two people - one who always lies and the other who always tells the truth!!!
    It's bothering us please tell us the answer Mr. Barker!!!!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oye Timoteo, that is so awsome!!!! very proud of you! y no te preocupes, tu espanol esta perfectamente bien! glad to see all is well!!!!!

    jose chavez

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Thought you'd be relaxing right now-I guess I was wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tim, How we'd love to be young enough to do this type of experience. We're living your year with you. Margie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love you guys. I kinda think that handmade is better made. More time, more thought, more strength. Fast isn't always better. You have always been good at creating amazing things from very little, so I trust this house will be great.

    I finally looked through those boxes at parents. Oh the treasures we found. All my South America photos were there! Kinda felt like I was wondering the desert of Atacama with you!

    ReplyDelete