Sunday, September 18, 2011

No berries until spring!?

We've been made weak by the luxuries of our decadence.  What I mean is that we've (kate, Jaden and I) become so accustomed to having blackberries, blueberries, strawberries and other summer fruits at all times of the year, it came as kind of a shock to us that this part of the world doesn't operate the same.  I thought it feasible that Chile, of all countries, might be importing summer fruits and vegetables as much as they are exporting their fruits and vegetables.  Next time you go to Trader Joes, check out how much produce we buy from Chile.  I thought it was reciprocal, that they might be buying our summer fruits as well, but that isn't the case.  We've had to adjust.  At first we were taken aback.  What do we feed Jaden.  Berries has a been a staple of his diet.  After almost every meal he'd have a couple nutritious and tasty berries.  It's forced us to become more industrious.  For now, he's contented himself with potatoes, peas, carrots and the like (a winter diet).  It's a healthy and nourishing diet.  It makes me wonder why we didn't focus on these things before.  I know the answer though, and I'm not sure I like it.  Summer fruits are tasty, inexpensive and easy (i.e. you don't have to cook them to make them soft, chewable and tasty for a baby).

We know the berries are well on their way, as a lot is blooming in the inland valleys.  But I've got to say, it's been fun learning to cope with the realities of our environment.  In fact, it's been good for us, a healthy bit of mind flexing.  We've got to be more industrious.  I wonder if we'll bring these experiences home with us or will we simply go back to what's easy and tasty.  It should be noted that the practice of importing food from all over the world is extremely damaging to the environment.  What's the carbon footprint of the blackberry you ate in the dead of winter that was flown from Chile?  I bet it's pretty high.  I guess that's why their is a movement to buy local (probably better for the economy too).  

While I'm on the topic of food, we've had a great time tasting the local cuisine.  The last week we've been in a series of festivals around their Independence Holiday, El 18 de Septiembre.  The barbeque (asada) has been absolutely wonderful.  

Before arriving, we worried about buying organic, as that's how we shop in the states.  But what we've found pleases us.  The eggs that we buy are from the local farms and households in the area...i.e. free roaming/grazing chickens.  We buy meat from the local butcher and it is some of the most tasty meat I've ever had.  It's also hormone free as it's also local.  Basically there isn't a movement for organics here because they never really strayed from good old fashioned farming.  It's a pretty novel concept. 

Overall, everything is great.  We continue to enjoy our time here and I have a job.  It starts on October 10th.  I'll write more about this later.  

When Jaden wakes from his afternoon nap, we're headed out to the fonda (party) to people watch and enjoy the spectacle of patriotism.  It's pretty off the hook here.  I've never seen this kind of fervent love for a country.  It's fun to be part of.
 Here are some pictures from our trip so far...

paraglider check, stroller check, a bunch more stuff check, seriously what are we taking!

I love flying, just like my Daddy!

Our first place in between Valparaiso and Vina del Mar

Jaden's first haircut.  Without sideburns he kind of looks like Jim Carey in the movie Dumb and Dumber


Punta de Lobos is a strikingly beautiful place!

Got to appreciate the coming of spring


Yeehaa!  I can't feel my hands or feet but the long rides can't be beat!


He's starting to walk!  La Punta con las olas esta en el fondo.

Our Cabana for the last 2 weeks.  Great spot


Quality time with the boy....lovin it!

2 comments:

  1. I love the pictures! Jaden is so big now!! Can't believe there's no berries till Spring--I'm pretty sure I couldn't live with out them! Maybe Spring will be your favorite season (at least in Chile)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pictures! That's weird that there aren't any berries in spring. Jaden is so cute!! The comments are funny!! Thank you for all of the pictures!

    ReplyDelete